When I was made the main owner of Help, I decided to change how we handle temporary moderators and members. I’ve noticed we have strayed from that original idea or path, so I’d like to correct it and offer some information about this.
I generally do not like the idea of making a guest a temporary moderator, only for them to return to being a guest. If we trust them to have the power to temporarily moderate the chat in the absence of other staff, then we should trust them to be a member. For this reason, I always envisioned that it would be much easier to become a member.
However, I recognize that there is a need to allow guests to become temporary moderators once in a while. From now on, it’s acceptable to make a guest a temporary moderator, but only for one hour at a time.
I also encourage any current member or above to suggest new members. The person doesn’t have to be extremely active. They just need to: a) come on a few times a week at least, b) show that they are a good helper, and c) demonstrate a level of maturity required of moderators.
Since we have not had a formal meeting in quite a while (six months), I decided to plan one. Most staff were there, but if you weren’t, this is for you!
- Only volunteers active at the Help chat will be able to retain their rank. In order for a volunteer to become an owner, they have to show interest and be there regularly, but they are excluded from the process of going from member, to moderator, to owner. As long as I deem them active, they can become an owner.
- Focus less on kicking users for minor infractions. It seems confrontational. Instead, you can give a “verbal” warning if it’s a minor incident.
- The bot no longer detects inappropriate nicknames or statuses. This avoids clogging up the chat with banning users who keep unbanning themselves and setting an inappropriate name. This means moderators should largely let unregistered users with inappropriate nicknames stay, or an owner should mute them. If an owner isn’t available and the problem is bad, you can turn on protect mode.
- I’d like to reinforce the idea that I care very little about how many events you have when it comes to determining your activity.
Hello! We will be having a staff meeting on Saturday, October 1. Find the time that it starts by clicking here. It should be converted to your timezone automatically.
I have also made a change to a policy:
- If you are an owner and would like for someone to be a member, suggest that person to the main owner and make a case for why that person should become a member.
Your account may have been affected by a change that xat made to user accounts. If you find that you are unexpectedly experiencing System Problem 55, you will need to create a ticket. If you need help with creating a ticket, please contact someone at the Help chat.
Please note that only a small portion of users were held in error. Most users who are experiencing this are not experiencing it by mistake!
There was a recent incident where a person was made a temporary moderator by the bot when they should have stayed a guest. Because of this, I have fully reviewed the Help.xatu file to ensure each user of member rank and above has the correct rank.
The bot’s automatic temporary moderator list was also updated.
There were already some volunteers added to the access list as owner, but a few more have been added. They can be contacted for emergency purposes.