Hello, helpers! This is Bennett tuning in to explain the various protection modes xat offers. In the Help chat, all members and higher are able to use them. In most other chats, it’s owners only (unless they use gcontrol power).
- /p – Standard protect. Captchas new users who enter the chat. This should be the first resort.
- /pc – Captcha all guests, regardless of their length of time on xat.
- /pr – Makes chat registered users only (non-registered cannot join), and captchas the rest. This should only be used if /p or /pc fails and Help is being raided hard. One user unbanning themself is not cause to turn away innocent users who need help. Rule of thumb: if it’s harder for them to get in than it is to ban, then we’re in the clear.
- /pg – Gags all guests for 3 minutes before they can join again. However, we are not able to ungag, so it’s not used in Help.
- /pm – Makes chat members only. Never use this, since nobody can ask for help if they can’t join!
If there is a raid, protect should be activated immediately. Use /p first and if that doesn’t work, then use /pr. Currently members and above can use protect.
Owners can use kickall to get rid of the remaining raid bots that are still signed in. If there are no owners online at the time, mods should ban the remaining raid bots.
Yesterday, users were made aware that a user’s profile was an IP grabber. This post is hopefully going to shed some light on it.
How was this done?
At the moment, http://xat.com/slideshow only allows Photobucket, TinyPic, ImageShack, or Imgur links to be used. This is to prevent IP grabbers. Unfortunately, it was not always this way. For some reason, a group of users made an IP grabbing slideshow about a year or two ago, and left it unused for a long time. Yesterday, however, they decided to embed the slideshow on their profile. After about 10-20 users clicked it, it was realized what was going on, and the profile was swiftly deleted. The slideshow is also deleted, so they can not use that again.
Could this happen again?
In theory, yes. They may have a few more slideshows set up the same way. If this is the case, xat can take more drastic measures (e.g. clear out all old slideshows). It’s just a “wait-and-see” approach.
Are profiles safe?
For now, yes, we have no reports of any more IP grabbers. Of course, if you have reason to believe this is happening again, report it to a Help moderator immediately, and they will relay it to a volunteer. Volunteers can safely check if this is the case, and if so, they can get it cleaned up quickly.
If you lose access to your account, either by forgetting your email or losing access to your email, you do not need to be paid to get this sorted via the ticket system.